Saturday, October 1, 2011

Revisions

When I began writing my essay I first had trouble deciding which poem I wanted to analyze. Many of the poems that I read did not make any sense to me, and that really discouraged me. What really stood out to me in the “Goblin Market” was close to the end of the poem. It talks about the love and strength between sisters, and I am very close to my older sister, she is pretty much my best friend, it really just touched me and that is ultimately why I chose this poem. At first I was disgusted about the idea of reading it AGAIN, because it is 500 lines, but once I made the connection to the Bible and the story of temptation idea began to form and it became fun to write.
I do not usually revise, because most of the papers I write turn out to be pretty good or at least I think so. I do always go over them again, but do not make many major changes. I know that I should do a lot of revising to this essay. I began writing and it came out very naturally, but towards the end I got bored and impatient and just wanted to be done writing, so I know that my last few paragraphs could use some revising. From others’ comments I read that a few of my last paragraphs were also very long. I think I will go back and cut a few up. I tend to keep going on and on, but I need to remember that a paragraph is really one item/detail and a description/analysis of that one idea.
I think that revising is important because once you let a piece of work set for a few days and re-read it, you may have new ideas or concepts that you did not think of earlier in your writing process. Revising can show you what you need to improve on; like I always have a hard time with the end and closing paragraphs. Like I said before, I get impatient and just type until the paper is finished, and generally only do what is required of me, rarely do I write more than what is the minimum.
I do think that analysis is a hard thing to do. It is very easy to lean into writing summary, because while you are writing your audience could be someone who may have not ever read the poem you are analyzing, and you want to give them a low-down of what has happened. Once I start writing in a summary-type manner, though, I find it hard to switch back to analysis. It is hard for me because I want to explain to people what is going on, not what the author was trying to convey in a deeper meaning. It is easy to say my poem was about sisters, and one gets tempted into eating fruit from goblin like men, and she becomes poisoned, then her sister saves her life by ultimately sacrificing herself. The hard part comes when you ask yourself the why? Why did her sister sacrifice herself? Was it easy? Did she ever have a second thought? What if she had failed and had also been tempted? Then her and her sister would be “dead”, no longer feeling the joys of the world around them.
I plan to mainly focus on strengthening my conclusion and last few paragraphs. I want my essay to flow smoother, like the “How to revise a College Essay” video said. When people are able to read things without stumbling over a tricky sentence, then I think the meaning of the essay as a whole comes out clearer.

My image and my link are from the same website: http://web.gccaz.edu/~mdinchak/101online_new/assignment3revising.htm
I found this website really helpful, I think it is from anther class/school, about ideas for revising.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Valerie,

    Like you my essay was on the "Goblin Market", by Christina Rossetti. I too was overwhelmed with the different poems that we were to choose from. I felt that they were weird or I didn't make a connection with them. At first glance I thought this poem was too long and didn't really see how I could analyze it in an essay. Until I read a little further and saw that it was about the love of sisters. Like you, I am very close with my sister and it made me think of her and what I would do for her. I however, struggled getting my thoughts put together in a clear manner that discussed the meaning of the poem rather than summarizing it for the readers. I think I am just used to reporting what I have read rather than actually discussing what it meant. So your post really clicked with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, I feel if I walk away from a project then come back to it a few days later I will see it with clear eyes. I also think Pride comes into play when you feel something you produced is perfect it's hard to find a flaw. Thats why I try to get another person to review my work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the poems I read did not make much sense to me either. I did eventually find a poem that was interesting enough to stand out for me to analyze. For me I always have to go back over my papers. Every time I go back to reread my essay I can find ways to improve my writing. This is especially true when I wait a few days before rereading my essay. Yes analysis is definitely more difficult but only because summary of a text is so much simpler. Understanding the deeper meaning of the poem takes more effort.

    ReplyDelete