Sunday, October 9, 2011

Frankenstein Critique

The criticism that I choose to summarize and reflect upon was titled “Female Gothic: The Monster’s Mother” written by Ellen Moers. Her article was written over a century and a half after the publishing of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, around 1974. Ellen is mainly focused on the gothic and monster themes that show through in Shelley’s story. First she states that it was a very unique book written during these times because the main character was not a woman, even though it was a woman that was writing it. Ellen then goes on the give a little background/history of Mary Shelley’s life. Ellen tells of the horrific love life that Shelley had beginning at the age of 16, with the death of her babies and illegitimate relationship with a married man, and deaths in her family. Ellen connects the tragedy in Frankenstein of the “monster” that Frankenstein created and ran way from to that of Shelley’s life. Ellen wrote this article because she enjoyed the book and agrees with many that it is an original piece of literature that deserves a lot of positive praise.
Ellen did read this book differently than me. I do think this is because Ellen did some background research on Shelley and found out the gruesome facts of the deaths in her family and of Shelley’s own babies. I did not make the connection that Frankenstein, as he quotes things about creating something from dust that death has taken away, could possibly connect to the way that Shelley felt about her own babies dying, one even without a name. I did learn the about the early life of Shelley, that she was a mistress to a married man, who ended up marrying Mary. I did not know she was 16 when she was pregnant and only 18 when she began writing Frankenstein, I knew she was young, but not young. This criticism was a little hard to follow in parts; Ellen began talking about many other authors and pieces of literature, and it became hard to follow the connection. I think she just used too many outside sources in trying to create a connection. I am going to use the article in essay #3 because it really helped me understand another side of the story, a point of view from Mary Shelley herself.

My link is to an exerpt from Mary Shelly’s journal/diary that Ellen refers to quite a lot in her article http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=71208348


My picture is of Mary Shelley. From http://www.nndb.com/people/245/000044113/

3 comments:

  1. I also did mine of this article. I also got lost reading this, it began with Gothic style of writing she gave many examples of a numerous authors then went into Mary's history then compared quotes of the book and Mary's journal and then i was able to see the connection between her own life's tragedy and Frankenstein and the monster. If you do not know the History of Mary's life than I don't think many would make that connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I did not write about this article, but you did a very good summary of it. It is true that the author who wrote the article brought too much outside resources and therefore might have lost some of us in her article. Overall, it was a very good article with insight to Mary Shelley's personal life which seemed to be very interconnected to the story Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wrote mine from this article and she definintely lost me a few times going back and forth with different cited sources. There were a few times when I thought she was talking about Shelley and she wasn't. Good overall take on the article though.

    ReplyDelete