Monday, October 17, 2011

Mid-Term Letter

Dear Ms. Cline,
I was very hesitant about taking an online course. I have watching many people try and fail, and have had many people recommend to me that it would not be a good idea, but I have found this class to be great! It has really kept my interest up and I think that is why I enjoy doing the work.
I would have to say that the biggest challenge for me so far is keeping up on the homework and writing, because I am a full time student and full time worker. Sometimes it is hard to maintain both and I must stay fully attentive because I could easily fall behind, so my procrastination has been on the decline. From a writing standpoint I think that what I need to work on most is clearly bringing my ideas to the table, sometimes I find it easier to have what I want to say, but I am unable to bring the message across, that is also understandable to my audience. I feel that my weakest points in writing are always my thesis and conclusion paragraphs. I never know the best way to end a paper, so sometimes I find that I do so very abruptly and without a clear ending.
My biggest success would be the blog posting. My favorite assignment was when we got to use the blog poster idea, I was really proud of my poster and the comments that I received from my classmates. I think that a blog is very helpful for an online English class because it does allow us to see what our classmates came up with on different themes and ideas.
I was bummed when I saw that I would have to purchase Frankenstein because I honestly had no intention of reading it. I had such a negative mind-set about the book because of the many movie versions that have been created that I really did not want to read about a “stupid” scientist, but I am very glad to now have had the pleasure of reading it. It was very compelling and played out like a good movie in my mind. I enjoyed it so much that I have talked to my family and co-workers about the book. I started asking them questions and what their opinions have been, and I have never done this with any book I have ever read, unless opinions from outside sources were required.
I have done a little literary analysis in my last English course, which I took when I attended NAU. Their English class combines 101 and 102 to create a mixer of both, which is quicker and less effective obviously because I still have to take it at Yavapai. I honestly do not remember much from that class except for the “Extended Bibliography” assignment which we turned in with our final portfolio at the end of the class. It was an awful creation that was so time consuming, and I learned nothing from it.
My goals for the second half of the semester would probably be to keep up on my assignments and not fall behind. What I hope the most is to improve on my thesis statement writing. I hope that I can clearly express my thoughts on a subject so that others can fully understand my message and point. I know that I have a lot of fragment sentences. I have always struggled with that aspect in grammar, but I hope that I will improve.
So far I have really enjoyed this class, and I am very proud of myself for sticking to the work. I have a lot to learn and hopefully I will learn it in this class. I have enjoyed the readings, especially Frankenstein, I am still unsure of my final project choice, but I cannot wait to get started!

Sincerely, V.S.P.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Valerie,
    I would definitely agree with you on the idea of Frankenstein. I honestly thought that the monster was named Frankenstein and I knew nothing of the plot or story before this class. I too have enjoyed using the blogging tools. It is an interesting way to communicate your thoughts and ideas and even your demeanor by using the personalization tools. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Valerie,
    I really enjoy online classes they are easier for me to take with the schedule that I have and I am glad that you found that it is working for you as well. I was also totally dreading reading the book that was required for us to buy for this class, but like you I came to surprisingly truly enjoy the book. And on a last note I really like to use the Blogger as a way to communicate and get other ideas and advice from my fellow classmates, it is a creative way to bring the class together without being in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie,

    I totally agree many people have said that taking online classes is setting yourself up for failure. They obviously have not seen a class like we are in that is very interactive and forward in technology. I too was very hesitant about reading Frankenstein, I started to read and instantly realized that I am not and never will be a Sci-Fi reader and that this would be a longer semester if all we read was like Frankenstein. I however, am very glad that so many people enjoyed it so much! I too think that I need to learn to convey my ideas and opinions better, I tend to guard them in case they are not as good as others. And on a final note the poster assignment was by far my favorite I am glad a lot of other people did posters!!!

    Good Luck for the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your letter was great! I too work all the time and do school full time. So I can understand where you are coming from being busy all the time. I seem to procrastinate still though even though my time is valuable and hard to come by. I think that is great that you ended up loving the book. I too was not looking forwarding to reading it and wondered what does this have to do with anything but it ended up being really good. The book had a great story once you dug deeper. Good luck on the second half of the semester.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree keeping up on the assignments is definitely a challenge. I know it requires quite a bit of self-discipline on my part. I like your letter and I think it's awesome that this class and reading Frankenstein has had an impact on what you think of the story. Good luck on your goals, so far you seem to be doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that no matter what your life circumstances are (you also working full time, or me having three boys) most people have a procrastination problem! I find that the first thing to suffer when I'm overwhelmed is writing assignments. They keep me stuck on my computer , whereas with reading I can go outside with my kids. So you are not alone! Great letter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Valerie,
    I am happy to have read your post. I feel like I can honestly relate to your entire post. This is also my first attempt at an online class and I am having the same struggles staying on top of all of the assignments. I too had never had any intention of reading Frankenstein before this class and I really enjoyed it! My biggest problem with writing is also clearly defining a thesis statement. Like I mentioned I can relate your entire post! Good Job~ Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's always tough having a full time job while going to college. During the first semester of my freshman year, I kept a 40 hour a week job and was taking 14 credits so I know how challenging it is. I agree with your statement about the blogs being a good idea for an English class. It's helpful that we can get feedback from our peers on our writing so quickly. I've noticed a lot of people, including myself, have made goals to keep up on assignments from now on. Good luck!
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete