Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Good Readers and Good Writers"



In “Good Readers and Good Writers” Vladimir Nabokov writes that a good reader possesses imagination, memory, an insightful diction, and artistic ability. He proceeds to say that a good reader is also a re-reader. This simply means that while people mundanely scan through a book, they are not able to fully appreciate an author’s artistic flare. Nabokov explains this concept further by comparing it to viewing a painting; while standing in a gallery focused on one painting at a time the viewer is able to concentrate meticulously and scan without the metronome effect of the back and forth reading of lines in a book. Ultimately Nabokov is challenging us to become good readers.


I do agree with Nabokov on a few of his good reader qualities. I agree with him when he states that a characteristic a good reader should have is imagination which ties into artistic ability. I do not, however, agree with his re-reader concept. Many times I have been so engrossed in a great novel that I go through the pages like they are on fire. I see no need for re-reading something I know I have already enjoyed. I think that re-reading is necessary, for me, when I’m reading a stale science text book or an article called “Good Readers and Good Writers”.


I would consider myself a good reader. If I do not understand something that I have read I will re-read it until I can comprehend the meaning. My imagination is very vivid; while reading a book I always play the scenes out in my head. It’s almost like I’m viewing a movie in a private theatre.

My link and picture is from a facebook page type blog about what others think make good writers:
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150173982098719&comments

7 comments:

  1. This is great. I agree with you that you must have imagination and artistic ability, which tie in to each other. I also enjoy reading a great book and playing out scenes in my mind. I love it when he talks about comparing viewing a picture to reading lines. It is so true that if we could just bring our mind beyond the lines, that we to can see a "picture" in what we are reading. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that a reader must have a very good imagination in order to see the novel and understand what the author is trying to show us as readers. Creating a picture while reading is my favorite thing about reading! It seems to draw the reader in more when they can see in their mind what is happening and how it is happening. I also agree with your re-reading stance. Re-reading something that is interesting usually isn't necessary, now a textbook usually needs many re-reads. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with you!! Great points in what he said. I too enjoy reading a good book and letting my imagination run wild!! To me that's what makes a good book a good book, if my imagination is able to run wild with itself based on what the writer writes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your article very interesting! I try to visualize what I am reading in my head and pretend I am there with the Author. Sometimes it works, I always thought I read stories the right way but now I realize I have a lot to learn. Doing it Nobokov's was makes the story more interesting and helps me get more involved with what I am reading. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well put because I agree completely. I do believe when someone is reading they have to have a good imagination to visualize what is going on in a story. Yes, it does make the story more interesting and it gives the better a better perspective of what’s going on in a book. So great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your article very intriguing! It was well written. Most of the things you said made me re-think about what I wrote! I do the same thing when reading, I like how you call it a private theater. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you on being able to go thru whatever I'm reading and being able to fly thru it and understand what I'm reading. Even though he suggest that the reader should not get "into" whatever it is that they are reading is a bit ridiculous. I think it can help the reader, especially a reader with a great imagination.

    ReplyDelete